Tuesday, May 12, 2009

New Parish Council Members

The Parish Council nominating committee came up with four candidates for election to fill three positions. However, one other member of the Pastoral Council has chosen to step down. This means that the four nominated are appointed without election. These new members are Mr. Dwayne Joubert, Mr. Richard LaFleur, Mr. Kenny Moreau, and Mrs. Cindy Prather.

For a list of Parish Council members and contact information, please click here.

Information about the new members is listed below.

Dwayne Joubert
I am completing my first 3 year term, having served as council chair for the past 2 years. My wife, Mary, and I are deeply rooted in St. Landry Catholic Church, and since returning to Opelousas some five years ago, we have carried on this tradition with our daughter, Sarah. In addition to serving on the Council, I am a lector at Mass, serve as coordinator for the Altar Servers and am a member of the Knights of Columbus #1048 serving as Exalted Ruler/President.
I am also in my second year of Permanent Diaconate Formation. I appreciate all the prayers and support I have received over the past several years.

Cindy Prather
My husband, Burton Prather, and I have been married for 17 years. We have two beautiful children, Brooke and James, who are a junior and a freshman at Teurlings Catholic, respectively. I also have the privilege of serving God as Principal of St. Ignatius Catholic School. I have been a member of St. Landry Catholic Church for 19 years and currently serve as a lector and Eucharistic minister. This church parish has had a big impact on my life, as I attended RCIA classes here to become a Catholic.
Burton and I were married in this church, baptized both children and they received their First Communion here as well. Brook will be confirmed here later this month. To serve on the Parish Council is an honor and an opportunity for me to give back to my church community.

Richard LaFleur
My wife, Carrol, and I have been married for 39 years. We have 4 children and 6 grandchildren. As a youth, I was an altar server at Our Lady of Mercy Church and I graduated from the Academy of the Immaculate Conception. I have been a parishioner of St. Landry Church since 2005 with involvement in the Father Verbis LaFleur monument project and the cemetery tours.

Kenneth Moreau
Since the age of 6, I have been a parishioner of St. Landry Catholic Church. My wife Dolores Lagrange Moreau, and I reared 3 daughters and 1 son. Our children attended Opelousas Catholic and we are now the proud grandparents of two grandchildren. After 35 years with the Opelousas Fire Department, I recently retired with the rank of Assistant Fire Chief. In addition to my career with the fire department, I have been a member of Hope Hook & Ladder Volunteer Fire Department for 39 years and served on the Louisiana State Fireman's Association Board from 1999 to 2007. Moreover, since 1979, I have been a member of the Opelousas Elks Lodge serving currently as the Exalted Ruler.

0 comments: