Saturday, May 2, 2009

Monsignor Romero's Trip to Washington D.C.



I am very thankful for your prayers as I attended the Diaconate Ordination of Deacon Corey Campeaux and Deacon Jared Suire on April 18, 2009. As I reflected on the Easter Triduum, I began to appreciate why the more senior priests would tell us we should take time out after Easter. As I was on the Amtrak Train, I discovered how a train trip is restful. I met nice people and had very good conversations. The Ordination was celebrated by Bishop Jarrell, and the people were very complementary of our Bishop.

While I was in Washington, D.C., I was able to visit Bishop Leonard Olivier, SVD, D.D. retired Auxiliary Bishop of Washington. If you remember, he was Pastor of Holy Ghost Church when he was named a Bishop. I also visited a classmate, Father Christopher Begg. Father Begg is a Professor of Old Testament Scriptures at the Catholic University of America. He and I were ordained deacons on May 1, 1974. I enjoyed telling the seminarians that we were ordained deacons 35 years ago. I also enjoyed visiting Father Begg, as it has been 34 years since we have seen each other. We did at times communicate via letter. I also visited Father Joseph Tyson, SSJ. Father Tyson was the Pastor of St. Mathilda, Eunice. He is now at Joseph Manor, which is a nursing home in Baltimore. By chance I was also able to visit a former associate pastor who served with me. He is Father Aquinas Guilbeau, O.P. In those days, his name was Father Jeremy Guilbeau. He was here at St. Landry as a seminarian on summer assignment with Father Gene Tremie.

I also was able to visit the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, the Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land, the National Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul, the National Mall, the World War II Monument, and the National Museum of Arts.

In all it was a very busy trip. I also learned to use the subway in Washington. It is a very good way to get around town.

I was impressed with the seminarians and the staff at the Theological College of the Catholic University of America, which is the seminary Deacon Corey Campeaux and Deacon Jared Suire attend. I find the seminarians have a good spirituality. They seem to be serious about their formation. Also on Sunday, April 20, 2009, I concelebrated at mass in St. Mathias Church where Deacon Jared Suire serves on the weekend. He delivered a good homily. I told him: it was pay back time because as he listened to my homilies on Sundays, I now listen to his homily.

Monsignor Romero

0 comments: