Friday, June 11, 2010

We'll miss our Monsignor Romero

Monsignor J. Robert Romero with Father Jared Suire, a former seminarian who was assigned to St. Landry Catholic Church, at Father Suire's First Mass at St. Therese in Abbeville, Louisiana, June 6, 2010

Monsignor J. Robert Romero, our Monsignor, is being assigned to St. Anthony Padua in Eunice, Louisiana. We all have heavy hearts as we tell him goodbye and wish him well in his new assignment. After only 5 years, Bishop Jarrell needs him in another parish and, though we are sad to lose him, we understand that this is part of the life of a priest within our Church.

This Sunday, after 10 AM mass, we'll be having a party in his honor. Please join us at the Knights of Columbus Hall next to Roy Motors right near St. Landry Catholic Church here in Opelousas, Louisiana.

His last mass will be the 5 PM Sunday Mass on June 20th. There, he wil install our new pastor, Father James Brady.

From Monsignor J. Robert Romero:

As announced last weekend, I am being transferred to Eunice and Duralde. Bishop Jarrell has asked me to be the Pastor of St. Anthony of Padua Parish in Eunice and Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish in Duralde. That is right, two (2) church parishes. Bishop Jarrell has appointed Father James Brady to be Pastor of St. Landry Parish in Opelousas. The date that the appointments are effective is on June 22, 2010.

God challenged me on Friday, May 21, 2010. The gospel reading for the mass on that day (Friday of Seventh Week of Easter, Year II) was John 21:15-19. It is the gospel where Jesus asks Peter three times “do you love me?” Peter says, “Yes, Lord …” Jesus answers“, Feed my sheep.” Then Jesus ends by saying, “Follow me.”

As I was giving the homily, I realized the homily was for me. Jesus is the gateway to love. When we love Jesus, Jesus gives us something to do. In the doing, we follow Him. Bishop Jarrell’s request was an opportunity to accept Jesus’ love and then respond in love. It also becomes for me a time of pruning selfishness out of my life and letting love grow more intense. However, it is not just me, it is all parishioners also being challenged by Jesus to love Him as Jesus gives us a task. Then Jesus says to us, “Follow me”. May we together ask Jesus, “Jesus, console us as we accept your invitation. Help us love you more intensely. Amen.” [We love Jesus first. Then Jesus gives us a task. When we do the task in love, we follow Jesus.]

1 comments:

phyllis said...

Thank you for your wonderful example. You have not only delivered God's Word to us, you have shown us how to LIVE God's Word. I am forever grateful. Thank you for your vocation.